Wednesday, April 04, 2007

American Idol 4/3

Okay, this week is was all about Tony Bennett, so the dudes and chicks sang The Classics. It was nice to hear some of them come out of their usual range. I'm kinda not super digging on the show right now because all the Sanjaya fever is turning me off, but I'd like to see it through, so here we go.

Blake Lewis - "Mack the Knife"
I can see why the judges like Blake, but for me, this performance wasn't as smooth as it needed to be. To me, this song has always been as smooth as silk. Blake's version had a few snags in it.

Phil Stacey - "Night and Day"
I think Tony was right in directing Phil to sing this one a little more choppy, instead of dragging it out into a dramatic ballad. Of course, Phil didn't take the advice. He hasn't been looking as good lately, but you never know.

Melinda Doolittle - "I Got Rhythm"
I read an article that said that Melinda's happy puppy act was getting a little old, and I tend to agree. She's still a great singer, though, and not having any trouble.

Chris Richardson - "Don't Get Around Much Anymore"
I don't think I have ever heard this song before, but I still like Chris. I like the songs he picks, and his personality. I think the only thing that worries me is that I don't know if I would buy an album he puts out. I imagine they'll stick him in some r&b pigeonhole. Hmmm.

Jordin Sparks - "On a Clear Day"
She sounded a little forced on this one, but I think Jordin's still doing well. It sounds like none of these songs were tunes she knew. That's realistic for someone who was born around 1990.


Gina Glocksen - "Smile"
I liked Gina here. She had that old-school pinup makeup on, and the song suited her well. The judges liked it, too.

Sanjaya Malakar - "Cheek to Cheek"
This whole song sounded like pure cheese when Sayjaya sang it. It's supposed to be romantic, but I couldn't help feeling like I was on a retirement cruise or something (not to sound too much like Simon here). I really feel sorry for him.

Haley Scarnato - "Ain't Misbehavin'"
All I can say here, is it's pretty obvious someone is going for the male audience when the first thing you think about is, "she sure likes to show off her body!" Not to mention the "great legs" comment from Simon.

LaKisha Jones
- "Stormy Weather"
I liked this song okay, but LaKisha doesn't really command my attention like some of the other contestants. Does it seem to anyone else like she's going through the motions a little?

Bottom Three: Haley, Phil, Sanjaya
Going Home: Phil. He's gotten worse every week, went earlier than the other two, and Howard Stern isn't asking anyone to vote for him.

No comments: