Wednesday, April 25, 2007

American Idol 4/24

Idol Gives Back! It's finally here. That means we get to hear cheesy inspirational songs, and no mentor to speak of. Ryan Seacrest called Bono a mentor, but he must have meant for the charity, because we saw hide nor hair of the U2 frontman all night.

Chris Richardson - "Change the World"
Chris gives the Eric Clapton song his smooth vocals, and seems to charm the judges with it. Although the judges didn't criticize much of anyone tonight, he got some pretty good props, especially considering he went first. Randy thinks he's "in it to win it," the first time the show's cliche has been spoken to him, I believe.

Melinda Doolittle - "There Will Come A Day"
Don't forget to look to country music, if you want something cheesy and inspirational. That's what Melinda (and later, Phil) did with this Faith Hill number. I thought she was good, but she's just failing to wow me like she used to. Maybe just because she's not having to go through that typical "American Idol growing experience."

Blake Lewis - "Imagine"
You know that sound when you suck air in through your teeth? That's what I did when I realized Blake was doing this classic song. I guess, to me it's just untouchable. You just can't do it without sounding lounge-y and like a bad imitation of the original. I do believe he was sincere, but come on! Nobody will ever be John Lennon.

LaKisha Jones - "I Believe"
Dangerous territory, doing a Fantasia song. The judges loved her so much, and LaKisha didn't compare for them here. Plus, if I remember correctly, wasn't this the song Fantasia sang when she won the competition? Jumping the gun a bit, I think.

Phil Stacey - "The Change"
I think Simon hit the nail on the head when he said that Phil should have brought more of his country flavor with this one. I mean, it's a Garth Brooks song! But it was still a solid performance, and he's looking much better up there than he did a few weeks ago.

Jordin Sparks - "You'll Never Walk Alone"
Whoa, look out! Jordin shows off her insane talent with this old song I've never heard of. Once again, I think Simon was right when he said that she could record that. She sounded great. Jordin's doing the right thing here; she's looking better every week, and may eventually outshine Melinda if she keeps it up.

Bottom Three: Chris, LaKisha, Blake
Going Home: LaKisha

No comments: