Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Wedding cake week!

On Saturday, my friends David and Margaret are getting married, and I am very excited to do their wedding cakes. I was going to start the baking on Sunday, but a snafu with the ingredients (picked up the wrong kind of vanilla) pushed it back to yesterday. I'm making a three tier round cake for the bride, and a sheet cake for the groom in the shape of his guitar.

Last night, I baked four batches of cake and refrigerated them. It came out to nine round layers for the round cake, and one (of two) for the groom's cake.

This is really the grunt work, mainly because the mixer does half but the second half must be mixed by hand. Also, I am constantly washing dishes and preparing pans for the next round.

I have to admit, it's still scary to me every time I flip over the pan to get a large cake out! I have cracked and broken several cakes doing this (though none this time, whew!).

By the time I was done with the fourth round of baking, I was beyond ready for bed. One last round tonight and then I can get to the building and decorating! The layers stay wrapped in plastic in the fridge so they stay fresh while I'm working with them.

No comments: