Wednesday, March 28, 2007

American Idol 3/27


Gwen Stefani was kind enough to visit the contestants and help them out this week. Was it just me, or was she criticizing over half of them in their intros? Anyway, she pretty much told all of them to keep it simple, and stick with the melody. You could definitely tell she bonded with the girls much easier than the guys (maybe because most of the girls can sing).

LaKisha Jones - "The Last Dance"
LaKisha does well every week, and this was no exception. I like this song, I liked her outfit. It was all great. The only problem with her is that she's stopped impressing me so much because she's at the same level every week. Most of the previous American Idols have one or two "breakout" weeks. She should be safe, though.

Chris Sligh - "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
Ew! I think I am officially out as a member of the Fro Patrol. Is it just me, or did he look kind of tired this week? I think he does better with the more serious material, anyway. I didn't see as many of the "Fro Patro" signs this week, so it's possible he may be in trouble.

Gina Glocksen - "I'll Stand By You"
This was a much better song choice for Gina. Still keeping a little bit of an edge by doing a Pretenders song instead of disco, but a little more universally appealing. I thought she sounded great, but I can't see her going all the way yet. I think she'll make it through at least a couple more weeks.

Sanjaya Malakar - "Bathwater"
Oh. My. God. Can we say "not even trying anymore"? I think we can. This kid looked ridiculous! Seven ponytails, mohawk-style, and I swear I kept waiting to hear him sing the line "my kind of man." (He did change "man" to "girl.") I'm not holding my breath for him to go anytime soon, but he's not even funny to watch. I feel bad for him.

Haley Scarnato - "True Colors"
I don't think this was the right song for Haley. I just think that this song was meant for someone who is deliberately off-key, like the Cyndi Lauper original. Haley looked like a Miss America contestant, which is great if you're in that contest, but people might find her a little too bland for their taste.

Phil Stacey - "Every Breath You Take"
Phil makes Chris look even worse with his version of a Police song. Not only did he do pretty well with the song, he actually kept with the beat and sounded very similar to Sting himself at some points. I liked it.

Melinda Doolittle - "Heaven Knows"
I found it interesting that the two biggest front runners, LaKisha and Melinda, both chose Donna Summer songs. Melinda did just fine on this one, even if Simon didn't like her outfit. Because we all know this is really "Fashion Idol." Not.

Blake Lewis - "Love Song"
They called this The Cure's "Love Song," but we all know Blake was doing the 311 version. Of course, since none of the judges have heard of 311, they can't really know that. Anyway. I thought his performance was okay, but not very exciting. I like the song, and didn't find any major problems with it. Just okay.

Jordin Sparks - "Hey Baby"
I think Jordin does a great job of appealing to the people that are her age. Singing this modern song was a great idea, because not only did she do well with it, but it was fun and up tempo on a night where everyone else could have put the audience to sleep. I think she's going to be around for awhile, if people don't assume she's safe and stop voting for her.

Chris Richardson - "Don't Speak"
I liked this performance okay, though not as much as last week. The judges weren't really that into it. I know Gwen Stefani didn't want him to sing it that way, with all the runs, but I agree with Randy: it's something he does well, so he should do it. He should finish better this week than last week, because he went right before the voting opened up.

Bottom Three: Haley, Sanjaya, Chris Sligh
Going Home: Chris. I think Sanjaya is getting too many votes to go yet, and Haley was better than him this week.

No comments: