Thursday, March 01, 2007

American Idol: The Girls 2/28

Okay, I'm doing this one mostly from memory, but I'd like to do American Idol recaps as the show goes on. I don't know many people that watch it, so it'll be my sad little way of talking about it with other people. If you do watch it, please, share your opinions! I'm going to post my scores for each singer and a prediction for who's not going to be around next week.

Gina Glocksen - "Alone"
I love this song. Originally perfomed by Heart, it's just one of those songs that really grips me. A real "sing in the shower" type of song. Carrie Underwood sang it two seasons ago, and it gave me chills. That was the moment when I really knew she was going all the way. With Gina, not so much for me. I thought she did an okay job, shaky at first, but better at the end. My problem with Gina isn't that she can't sing; it's that she seems better suited as the lead singer of a rock band than being the next Kelly Clarkson. I like her, but I don't think she's going to win it. 7/10

Alaina Alexander - "Not Ready to Make Nice"
I like this song a lot, too, but Alaina isn't anywhere near as talented as Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks, who won a Grammy for this song. I think she's trying too hard, and she was one of the early ones to go tonight, so that's not a good sign, either. I don't need her to "make nice," I'm just ready for her to make like a tree (and get out of here). 3/10

LaKisha Jones - "Midnight Train to Georgia"
LaKisha is an excellent singer. You can tell she grew up singing in a gospel choir somewhere, and she has a very confident, rich voice. I think she's going to run into trouble if the theme weeks get out of her comfort zone, or if people think she's so good she doesn't need votes (Jennifer Hudson's problem, I think). She did a good job with this song, but I do think last week was a little more "wow." 8/10

Melinda Doolittle - "My Funny Valentine"
I love Melinda! She is so cute and smiley and sweet. I thought her voice was very smooth on this song. Interesting choice, but she pulled if off. I hate when people pick ballads and slow songs on this show, but sometimes they work. 9/10

Antonella Barba - "Because You Loved Me"
Oh, Antonella. You look like you came straight off the set of My Super Sweet 16, you sing songs that people make prom themes out of, and you party naked with your friends on the weekends. What's not to love? If she was more talented, some of this would be easier to overlook, but she's really out of her league here. The only thing the judges like about her is her looks. 3/10

Jordin Sparks - "Reflection"
She wasn't quite on solid ground when she started this song, and I was worried about her being compared negatively to Christina Aguilera, but I think she did well on this song. She let her emotions get ahead of her a little (it was dedication week), but a very solid performance overall. I like her; I just hope she gets enough attention to make it past some of the less talented girls. 8/10

Stephanie Edwards - "Dangerously in Love"
I got up to get a snack during this one, but I think she did a pretty good job. I'm not the biggest Beyonce fan ever, so I didn't get too excited about this song. I liked her last week, though, and I think she's talented enough to make it at least a few more weeks. 7/10

Leslie Hunt - "Feelin' Good"
I don't know what it is about Leslie. She just doesn't scream out "American Idol" to me. I thought her vocals were okay, nothing awesome, not horrible. I could have gone without all the scatting. I'm not a big fan of hers, but she may find a niche audience and get some votes. She is the John Stevens of the girls, if anybody remembers him. 6/10

Haley Scarnato - "Queen of the Night"
I love that she chose this song. She opened herself up to comparisons with Whitney Houston, which may not have been so smart, though. It was really fun to watch, but I don't think she quite had enough power behind it to really pull it off. But, lots of fun + close to the end of the show could equal enough votes to stay. 7/10

Sabrina Sloan - "All the Man I Need"
I thought Sabrina did an excellent job of closing out the show. Maybe not the best performance of the night, but very good. You can really see the strength of her voice, and even though she was doing a Whitney song, too, notice she didn't get the comments about it from the judges like Haley did. I enjoyed it, even though it was a slower song, which says something. 8/10

Who's getting the boot? The A-Team: Alaina and Antonella. Hopefully.

No comments: