Thursday, March 08, 2007

American Idol: The Boys 3/6

Wow, what an interesting night. If the boys keep going at this rate, there won't be any left in a few weeks!

Blake Lewis - "All Mixed Up"
Oh, Blake. I like him; he's spunky and different. But it's not smart to do a copycat version of a 311 song when you don't have the pipes of a reggae singer. I liked his version of "Geek in the Pink" a lot better last week, but I think he's probably safe. Also, did anybody notice that none of the judges knew this song? WTF?

Sanjaya Malakar - "Waiting on the World to Change"
Sanjaya sang this John Mayer song with about as much affection as a piece of cardboard. He still looks awkward on stage, and his voice isn't nearly as powerful as some of the othe
r guys. He seems like a really sweet kid, but it takes more than that to make it very far.

Sundance Head - "Jeremy"
This dude is a big old teddy bear. He's a bluesy, soulful singer from the South. So why take a trip up north to the Seattle grunge scene with this one? I think it was a nice stretch, but for me, he didn't quite pull it off. Eddie Vedder looks demented in the video for this song, but Sundance just looked like he was trying out for a local rock band.

Chris Richardson - "Tonight I Wanna Cry"
This was probably my favorite of the night. Not the hugest Keith Urban fan, but Chris turned it around and kind of made it into a pop/r&b ballad type of song. He's a little too much like JT, looks, voice, and all, but he's pretty good, too.

Jared Cotter - "If You Really Love Me"
This guy is so good looking, he could probably sing the song from Sesame Street and get votes. However, this cover didn't even compare to the Stevie Wonder original. Very showtune-y. He's not the best singer in the competition, but I think he's impressing the ladies anyway.

Brandon Rogers - "I Just Want to Celebrate"
I thought he did well, but nothing special. I think he has potential, but doesn't have a niche fan base like some others.

Phil Stacey - "I Need You"
Is anybody else getting tired of this guy? He makes a great Idol story because of the whole "missing his baby's birth to audition" story, but in reality, he's just an average singer. And I think the producers are making him wear hats now because his bald head is so scary.

Chris Sligh - "Wanna Be Loved"
I'll admit, I had never heard this DC Talk song before, but I thought he did a good job with it. I like this guy, but I just don't see him being a star. Maybe I just like to root for the odd man out.

Who's getting the boot? My guess is that Sanjaya will finally go home, and possibly Brandon. The others are different and interesting enough to make it through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Havent really picked my favorite guy yet.

beth